Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Refer a Friend.......or Not

I always tease my husband that we should open a employment recruitment agency. On a weekly average, we see about 3 resumes coming our way, or receive as many calls from friends, parents of friends, or people we don't know at all, asking if we can help them find a job. While my husband generally entertains these requests and will work to at least get the person scheduled for an interview somewhere, I'm not so keen on the whole idea. I mean, I look at it as though it's my reputation on the line. As a people manager for the past 6+ years, I consider whether I'd want that person on my team. If the answer is no, then I won't refer them.
What's becoming increasingly common, however, is the number of people that approach me to find them a job in the US. Or help them figure out how to get a US visa. Here's a few things you should know: I was born in the US. I've never had to get a visa in order to stay/work in the US. What the heck would I know about it? Additionally, I'm not going to find you a US visa sponsor. I'm not going to hook you up with a friend or family member of mine and put the burden of them of being financially responsible for a foreigner whom I barely know. You can find people that will do that, but should note: it's sorta illegal. Secondly, as I live and work in India, I can't say I'm privy to the job scene in the US. I've worked for the same company since 2006 and I've not spent my time over the past 7 years searching for a job elsewhere. If you want to find a job, you have access to all the same employment sites I do. Last time I checked, I didn't have www.monster.com tattooed across my forehead.
Yesterday, I was approached twice by people asking for jobs in the US. One of them was asking on behalf of a friend, who didn't even care whether they landed in the US or another country, as long as they had the option to leave India. Let me tell you something: it's EVERY Indians dream to leave India. No one wants to stay here. Perhaps if you ask the older generations, they'll say they're too old to start their lives over, learn English, etc, but every member of our generation wants out. So, this girl asks me whether I know of any jobs for her friend. I said "How would I know? I live and work in India." She says "Well don't you have any friends there that can give a referral?" Right. I don't know you. I don't know your friend. You're asking me to have my friend, who doesn't know you or your friend, give a job referral?!?! Am I missing something here? Maybe I put too much weight on the whole job referral scenario but unless I know something about the applicants personality, work ethic, integrity level, I'm not referring them. End of story. 

2 comments:

  1. This is extremely common in our lives here at the APPI household too! Hubby talks to his friends and family daily and without fail his friends always need a job or know someone who does. He doesn't seem to put much weight on it.

    Another thing they do is ask for gifts. While I was living in India he had one friend ask for an iPhone when I went home and when my hubby told him no the friend asked what was his benefit (the friends) in my husband being married to an American LOL. As if my husband only married me to hook his friends up. Hahahahaha. It's crazy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm always suprised with the boldness people will ask for things. You're soooo right when you say the iPhone is at the top of the list. We're always being asked for things, or if someone is travelling there, they'll ask my friends to hook them up.

    ReplyDelete